Gujarat Board GSEB Solutions Class 11 English Second Language Unit 6 Read 3 Suspect Identification Textbook Exercise Questions and Answers.
GSEB Std 11 English Textbook Solutions Unit 6 Read 3 Suspect Identification (2nd Language)
GSEB Class 11 English Suspect Identification Text Book Questions and Answers
1. Here is a list of words/phrases related to dating technology. Write each word in the appropriate column. One word/phrase may occur in more than one column or in none.
stable form, ancient, natural objects, artifacts, trunks, changes, decay, atmosphere, radioactive
|Radiocarbon dating||Archaeomagnetic dating||Tree ring dating|
|stable form, ancient, natural objects, artifacts, decay, atmosphere, radioactive||trunks
2. Pick out the correct options:
Radiocarbon dating is described In paragraph no….
(D) 2 & 3
(D) 2 & 3
This text is about…
(A) radiocarbon dating and its advantages.
(B) radioactivity and processes based on it.
(C) history of objects.
(D) techniques of deciding how old an object is.
(B) radioactivity and processes based on it.
Tree ring fingerprinting, radiocarbon dating and archaeomagnetic dating are related to …
(B) archaeological discoveries.
(C) conservation of trees.
(D) investigating age of objects.
(D) investigating age of objects.
Radiocarbon dating would fail if…
(A) carbon 14 kept changing form.
(B) carbon 14 would decay fast.
(C) the rate of radioactive decay was unknown.
(D) the rate of radioactive decay was as fast as carbon 14.
(A) carbon 14 kept changing form.
Read 3: Dating Technology
Answer the following questions in three to four sentences each:
Which dating technologies are talked about in the text ?
In this text, the dating technologies talked about are :
(1) Radiocarbon dating,
(2) Archaeomagnetic dating and
(3) Tree ring dating.
Why is dating technology needed ? Where is it used?
Dating technology is needed to date objects to understand what happened around them and when it happened. It also helps to understand at what time in history a particular object was used. Such investigations are taken up by scholars studying historical civilizations, rocks, ancient cultures or criminal investigations, etc.
Do you think it would be advisable to blindly trust dating technologies ? Why ?
Yes, I think there is nothing wrong in trusting dating technologies because they are based on scientific researches and they cannot be fake. Formerly dating was based on mere assumptions which cannot be relied on at any cost. But now using dating technologies have fool proofed the system and it is hundred percent advisable to blindly trust them.
If in a criminal investigation, results of such dating tests don’t match, what would the investigators do to reach the truth ?
Results of such dating technology (tests) can be wrong only if correct data is not stored with the investigation agency. If necessary data is stored to match with, scientific matching cannot be fake. Still, if at all, such dating tests don’t match, there are several other conventional arid non-conventional methods that can be taken help of.
Read the extracts and answer the questions:
1. Dating objects and artifacts is an interesting area of investigation. Investigators need to date objects to understand what happened around them and when it happened. It also helps to understand at what time in history a particular ‘ object was used. Such investigations are taken up by scholars studying historical civilizations, rocks, ancient cultures or crime investigators, etc.
(1) How is ‘Dating Technology’ helpful in finding criminals ?
(2) Which professionals have taken up the investigations based an ‘Dating Technology’ ?
(1) Investigators date objects to understand what happened around them and when it happened. It also helps to understand at what time in history a particular object was used.
(2) This kind of investigations are taken up by scholars studying historical civilizations, rocks, ancient cultures or crime investigators, etc.
(2) Other methods are also used like archaeomagnetic dating. This is based on reversal of magnetic field of the Earth. Tree ring dating is another useful technique. Each year changes occur within a tree by factors like rainfall, etc. These changes can be seen in form of ring patterns within the tree trunks. These are used as a date ‘fingerprint’ in this technique.
(1) What is archaeomagnetic dating used for ? What is it based on ?
(2) How do changes occur within a tree ? Where are they seen ?
(1) Archaeomagnetic dating is used for investigating crimes in which objects of past are taken help of. It is based on reversal of magnetic field of the earth.
(2) Each year changes occur within a tree by factors like rainfall, etc. These changes can be seen in form of ring patterns within the tree trunks.
1. Here are some sentences in jumbled order. They form the beginning of the text. First of all arrange them in a correct order and in a paragraph form, and then replace the underlined words with the words close to the meanings given in the box.
soup, detective, earlier, ability, thief, bowl, details, criminal, priests, clues, quiet
(1) Thanks to this sense, Valentin notices a series of very strange hints left behind by a couple of old clergies.
(2) The waiter suspected one of the two old priests who had come there prior time in the day.
(3) Valentin, a famous Parisian investigator, comes to London, on the trail of an equally-famous French thief, Flambeau.
(4) As a result, he manages to follow Flambeau’s trail around London.
(5) Valentin notices the smallest portions very cleverly.
(6) When he sits in a peaceful restaurant, he finds salt in the sugar container.
(7) He has the extraordinary skill to place himself in the shoes of the wrong doer he is searching for.
(8) One of the priests splashed liquid food on the restaurant walls.
Valentin, a famous Parisian detective, comes to London, on the trail of an equally- famous French thief, Flambeau. Valentin notices the smallest details very cleverly. He has the extraordinary ability to place himself in the shoes of the criminal he is searching for.
Thanks to this sense, Valentin notices a series of very strange clues left behind by a couple of old priests. As a result, he manages to follow Flambeau’s path around London.
When he sits in a quiet restaurant, he finds salt in the sugar bowl. The waiter suspected one of the two old priests who had come there earlier in the day. One of the priests splashed soup on the restaurant walls.
2. Match the letter for synonym with the text-words
|In the text||Synonyms|
|1. leftover||A. famous|
|2. fake||B. imaginary|
|3. fictional||C. man-made object|
|4. trunk||D. remaining portion|
|5. artifacts||E. very old|
|6. legendary||F. proof|
|7. ancient||G. artificial|
|8. evidence||H. doubt|
|9. tree ring||I. tree body (without|
|dating||branches and roots)|
|10. suspect||J. finding the period of existence through log- figure|
(1 → D), (2 → G), (3 → B), (4 → I), (5 → C),(6 → A), (7 → E), (8 → F), (9 → J), (10 →H).
Study the table and learn how nouns are formed by adding appropriate suffixes.
Here are some examples:
(A) Now form nouns of the following words / by using appropriate suffixes and use them in sentences of your own:
invite, guide, confer, attend, achieve, product, civilize, deliver, add, encourage
• invite – invitation
I did not get the invitation of her marriage.
• guide – guidance
I need your guidance in this case.
• confer – conference
I could not attend the conference that day.
• attend – attendance
Owing to his poor attendance, he cannot appear at the examination.
• achieve – achievement
Congratulations for your great achievement!
• product – production
Manufacturers are more concerned with the production.
• civilize – civilization
Greece is the oldest civilization.
• deliver – delivery
When did you get the delivery of this new fridge ?
• add – addition
No addition is possible in this draft now.
• encourage – encouragement
Generally students lack encouragement.
(B) Use a good dictionary and find out at least five nouns with each suffix.
Observation, permission, invasion, clearance,dependence, management
1. Here’s a sentence spoken by Flambeau from the story ‘The Blue Cross’. Discuss with a friend and tick the closest meaning.
Words spilled out, “I’d rather prefer death to being tricked by a little priest.” This sentence means…
(a) Flambeau wanted to die because he was trapped by the priest.
(b) Flambeau realised that Father Brown had tricked him, now there was no point in living.
(c) Flambeau was angry to know that the priest had caught him.
(d) Flambeau would like to kill himself out of shame instead of being caught by that priest.
Option (d) is the closest meaning for the sentence.
Why did you pick the option?
The use of ‘would rather than’ in English shows ‘preference’. When Flambeau says, “I’d rather prefer death to being tricked by a little priest,” he expresses his feeling of being ashamed. It does not mean that he actually wants to die, but the use of ‘would rather than’ strongly expresses preference for one and dislike for the other. It does not express the feeling of being angry either.
Share your answers in class and decide which option is the most suitable.
Now, discuss the meaning of these sentences.
I would rather sleep happily instead of watching a movie.
We think this sentence means I would prefer sleeping happily instead of watching a movie.
Seema would rather conduct an activity than take part in one.
We think this sentence means Seema would like to conduct an activity instead of taking part in one of the activities.
Randhir would rather travel by train than fly.
We think this sentence means Randhir prefers to travel by train than by air.
I’d rather walk than go by car with my brother.
We think this sentence means I would prefer walking instead of going by car with my brother.
I’d rather get punished by my father than by my mother.
We think this sentence means I would not prefer being punished by my mother. If my father punishes me, it’s okay.
2 ‘Flambeau would rather die than be tricked by a little priest.’ What would you rather do ?
I’d rather play than do my homework.
I’d rather avoid participating than fall down flat in front of the whole class.
I’d rather take up a job than fail in the 12th standard.
I’d rather protest than cry alone all by myself.
Share your answers with your bench-mate/s.
3. Think of two movies you like. Now, ask four of your classmates to decide which film they’d rather watch. The rule of the activity is that they have to answer in the given format or /you can’t record their response.
|Movie||Names of friends|
|3 Idiots||Tirth, Ankit|
|Tanu Weds Manu||Abhilasha, Krutangi|
You will ask:
Which movie you’d rather watch, 3 Idiots or Tanu Weds Manu?
Your response :
- I’d rather watch 3 Idiots because it shows that life-skills and practicality are more important than classroom education.
- Tirth: I’d rather watch ‘3 Idiots’ because it is didactic as well as entertaining.
- Ankit: I’d rather watch ‘Tanu Weds Manu’ because the double role of Kangana Ranaut is beyond par.
- Abhilasha says, “I’d rather watch Tanu Weds Manu’ because the entire set up and comic scenes are excellent.”
- Krutangi prefers, “I would rather watch ‘3 Idiots’ because of the acting of all five main characters.”
How many friends would like to watch the movie you like?
Two of my friends would like to watch ‘3 Idiots’ that I like. Obviously, everybody has their own reasons.
4. Would you do the same or would you rather do something else?
(1) Tehmina is 14 years old. She has really long hair. Everyone at school teases her because of her hair. She has decided to go for a hair cut.
Your response: I would rather not decide what Tehmina has decided because I think long hair adds to my beauty and I should feel proud of it. Let the envious go to hell.
(2) Mitesh has scored very high marks in his tenth standard board exam. His father wants him to become a doctor. His mother wants him to become an engineer. His sister wants him to become an artist. He can’t decide what he should do. His best friend wants to take up Psychology.
So, he selects Psychology. Your response: I would rather follow l suggestions of my father, mother or sister rather I than that of my best friend because I think they would think better of my future than my friend.
(3) Rashmi is an 11th standard student. She is good in all her subjects except Physics. She s gets very confused in Physics. Her tuition teacher also keeps scolding her because of it. So, she stops attending Physics tuitions.Your response: I would rather change my tuition teacher because instead of scolding me, the teacher would have guided and motivated me, so that once more I could start taking interest in Physics.
(4) Shanta and her friend, Chris are going to school on a two wheeler. Their exams are going on. Shanta, in a hurry, doesn’t realise that s an old lady is crossing the road. She dashes I; into her. The old lady falls down unconscious.I Shanta and Chris decide to call 108 but leave immediately because they don’t want to be late for their exams.
Your response: I would request some passer by calling 108 in my place because it would never be fair to leave that old lady unattended and simultaneously my exam is also important, so with a little apology and request I would rather get someone else to do that job for me.
5. Go through the five previous tasks and notice how ‘would rather’ is used. Discuss it with your bench-mate and decide when you would use ‘would rather’ in English,.
Note down observations like – ‘would rather’ can be used as ‘I’d rather’ when talking about myself.
According to us, ‘would rather’ is used when we have to select a better option from two or for preferences. ‘Would rather do something’ means the other action or thing or activity you are negating. You would not do it prefering the other one. Can you find a similar usage in the readings ? I found the lines
You have still got the cross, and if you don’t give it up, I’ll take it by force in the passage
Now, think of an example on your own and write it below:
- I’d rather talk about this later.
- I’d rather do exercise than sit on the couch all day.
- I’d rather listen to my parents than get into trouble.
- I’d rather stay late than come in early tomorrow.
- I’d rather eat at home than get fast food.
1. Write a short biographical sketch of Mother Teresa. Use the given information.
Born : 27 August, 1910 of Albanian parents in Skopje.
1928 : Joined convent in Ireland, 18-year-old
1929 : Sent to Darjeeling, India
1931 : Began teaching at Kolkata Girls’ school.
1948: Left teaching-worked among the poor in slums of Kolkata
1950 – 1990 : Worked for the downtrodden, sick and suffering people
1979 : Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
Died : 5 September, 1997
Mother Teresa was born on August 27, 1910 of Albanian parents in Skopje (modern Macedonia). She was an Albanian Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary. After having lived for eighteen years in Macedonia, she moved to Ireland and joined convent there.
Then as a missionary, she was sent to Darjeeling, India in 1929. There she learnt Bengali and taught at St. Teresa’s school. She took her first religious vows as a nun on May 24, 1931. From 1931 to 1948, she taught Geography and Catechism at St. Mary’s High School in Kolkata.
The prevailing poverty in Kolkata had a deep impact on her and with permission of her superiors, she left teaching in 1948 and started working among the poor in the slums of Kolkata. From 1950 to 1990, she worked for the downtrodden, sick and suffering people, especially lepers.
Her work has been recognised and acclaimed throughout the world and she received a number of awards and distinctions. These include the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize (1971), Nehru Prize for promotion of international Peace and Understanding (1972),the Nobel Peace Prize (1979) and Bharat Ratna (1980). She breathed her last on September 5, 1997, just 9 days after her 87th birthday.
2. Write a paragraph about ‘Effective; Interview Skills’. Use the given points.
Points : preparation – entering the room – nervousness and fear – confidence – appearance and manners – positivity You may use the phrases: having cold feet, being on view, boosting up, current affairs, make sure, feel awkward, do well, common sense,presence of mind.
Effective Interview Skills Interview is ‘being on view’. It means everything about the candidate is observed very minutely. Right from the body language to the candidate’s behaviour, his knowledge in the field that he is to be appointed in, his skill and his confidence to justify the job are the parameters that are taken care of by the interviewers. First of all, advance preparation is very much required. For that one should gather information about the company and the position available.
Then, one should enlist a friend to ask him s sample questions. Practise making eye-contact.
One should record one’s practice sessions and try to find out what he lacks in and try to improve upon those points. One should keep ready one’s clothes, resume with all required testimonials and certificates and directions to the interview site; ahead of time, to avoid any extra stress.
One should not have cold feet before entering the interview room.
Nervousness and fear may put one down while facing the interview. Greeting the interviewers, allow them to have your seat, eye-contact, and your happy smiling face will earn you a good credit. One should keep one’s confidence quite boosted up.
One must use one’s common sense while answering the questions, with presence of mind, one can come out of any kind of confusion arising at the time of interview. Even if one does not know the answer, one should never feel awkward. Above all, one’s positivity counts a lot that makes interviewers feel that due to certain reasons, they cannot offer the job, but the candidate deserves it.
3. Write a brief summary of a detective movie/a short story/a real news story.
Murder of a Rich man
(A Detective Story)
One day, inside a police station in a small town, the police inspector was going through some of his case flies.
The clock on the wall struck eleven. As the police inspector saw the time and again started to continue his work his telephone started ringing. The inspector picked up the phone and said, “hello”. The person on the other side of that call informed about the murder of the rich man in that town.
The police inspector was shocked to hear that. He immediately asked his constables to follow and went to the rich man’s house. When they reached the house, they saw the rich man’s dead body on the floor.
There was another man, who introduced himself as the rich man’s manager. He said that when he came to see the rich man in the morning, he found him dead, and then he immediately called the police station.
The police inspector looked about the room to see if he could find any clue for the murder. He walked near the rich man’s dead body and something flashed in his mind. He saw the time in the dead man’s wrist watch. It wasn’t working but was showing 11 o’clock.
The police inspector realized that the clock had stopped working because it had hit the floor with some force as the rich man fell dead. The inspector knew the manager was the one who called him from the same house at 11 o’clock in the morning.
He immediately caught the manager and punched his face to make him tell the truth. The manager admitted that he was the one who had murdered the rich man. He was arrested and put into the jail. Everyone appreciated the police inspector for his intelligence.
A. How would you investigate these problems?
(1) Some ghosts scaring people on the roads late at night.
(2) Stone-throwing on the roof in a village.
(3) Flames of fire appearting In an abandoned house.
(4) Finding fresh flowers in a locked temple.
(5 ) When you wake up, you find one or two things displaced in your house.
Discuss your ideas to find the reasons and solve the problem (in groups).
2. Conduct Internet search on various detective characters found in English and Gujarati literature. Come to class and discuss any interesting anecdotes you have read about.
[Note : To be done by students]
Dating Technology Summary in Gujarati
ગુનાશોધનમાં અન્ય એક પદ્ધતિ છે. ચીજવસ્તુઓ કે અવશેષોનું સમયનિર્ધારણ. જે-તે ઘટના ક્યારે બની તેનું સમયનિર્ધારણ થવાથી ગુનાશોધન વધારે સરળ બની જાય છે. રેડિયોએક્ટિવિટી પર ઘણી પદ્ધતિઓ આધારિત છે, જેમાંની એક છે રેડિયોકાર્બનથી થતું સમયનિર્ધારણ. તેમાં કાર્બન 12 તથા 13 સ્થાયી સ્વરૂપો છે, જ્યારે કાર્બન 14માં વાતાવરણ મુજબ ફેરફાર થતો રહે છે.
વનસ્પતિ અને પ્રાણીઓમાં કાર્બન 14 તેમના સમગ્ર જીવનકાળ દરમિયાન રહે છે અને તે જ્યારે મરી જાય છે ત્યારે રેડિયોઍક્ટિવ ક્ષીણતાના નિયમ મુજબ તેમનામાં કાર્બન 14 ઘટતો રહે છે. આ ઘટાડાનો અભ્યાસ કરવાથી વ્યક્તિ, પ્રાણી કે વનસ્પતિ ક્યારે મૃત થયું હશે તેની માહિતી મળી શકે છે.
આ સિવાયની પદ્ધતિમાં આર્કિઓમૅગ્નેટિક સમયનિર્ધારણનો સમાવેશ થાય છે. આ પદ્ધતિ પૃથ્વીના લોહચુંબકીય ક્ષેત્રના ફેરફાર પર આધારિત છે. વૃક્ષ કેટલું પુરાણું છે તે તેમાં રહેલાં વલયો પરથી નિશ્ચિત કરી શકાય છે. સંશોધનની આ પદ્ધતિને સમયની ‘ફિંગરપ્રિન્ટ ટેનિક’ તરીકે ઓળખવામાં આવે છે.
Phrases and Idioms
take up (ટેક અપ) begin to associate with – ની સાથે જોડાવું, (કામ, પ્રકલ્પ) હાથમાં લેવો
based on (બેઝડ ઓન) built on, depended/relied on-.ના પર આધારિત
at a rate (ઍટ અ રેટ) at a value, measure or degree –ના દરે
વસ્તુઓ કે હાથકારીગરીની બનાવટોના સર્જનનું સમયનિર્ધારણ ? કરવું એ ગુનાશોધનનું એક રસપ્રદ ક્ષેત્ર છે. તેમની આસપાસ શું બન્યું અને તે ક્યારે બન્યું એ સમજવા ગુનાશોધકોને વસ્તુઓના સમયનિર્ધારણની જરૂર પડે છે. જે-તે વસ્તુ ઇતિહાસમાં (ભૂતકાળમાં) કયા સમયે વપરાઈ હતી, તે સમજવામાં પણ તે (સમયનિર્ધારણ) મદદરૂપ થાય છે. તજજ્ઞો ઐતિહાસિક સંસ્કૃતિઓ, ખડકો, પ્રાચીન રીતરિવાજો કે ગુનાશોધકો, વગેરેનો અભ્યાસ કરી આ પ્રકારની તપાસ હાથ ધરતા હોય છે.
કેટલીક ટેક્નિકો (પદ્ધતિઓ) વિવિધ પ્રાચીન કુદરતી વસ્તુઓ અને હાથકારીગરીની વસ્તુઓનો સમય નિર્ધારિત કરવા ઉપયોગમાં લેવાય છે. વિવિધ પદ્ધતિઓ કિરણોત્સર્ગ પર આધારિત છે. તેમાંની એક પદ્ધતિ એ વસ્તુમાં રહેલા કાર્બનના પ્રમાણથી સમયનિર્ધારણ કરવાની છે. રેડિયોકાર્બન કે કાર્બન 14 એ કાર્બન તત્ત્વનું (જ) સ્વરૂપ છે. તે અસ્થિર અને ઓછા પ્રમાણમાં કિરણોત્સર્ગી છે. કાર્બનનાં સ્થિર સ્વરૂપો કાર્બન 12 અને કાર્બન 13 છે. કાર્બન 14 સતત સ્વરૂપગત થાય છે. અને ઉપલા વાતાવરણમાં (જતાં) સ્વરૂપ બદલી નાખે છે.
વનસ્પતિ અને પ્રાણીઓ તેમના સમગ્ર જીવનકાળ દરમિયાન કાર્બન 14 લે છે. જ્યારે તે મૃત બને છે ત્યારે તે કાર્બનની ફેરબદલી બંધ કરી દે છે. અને તેમનો (નિહિન) કાર્બન 14 કિરણોત્સર્ગી ક્ષયના નિયમાનુસાર (તે દરથી) ઘટવાનું શરૂ કરી દે છે. આ પદ્ધતિ એ શેષ કિરણોત્સર્ગ પ્રક્રિયાના માપન માટે તૈયાર કરવામાં આવી છે. કોઈ પણ સજીવ કે તે ક્યારે મૃત્યુ પામ્યું તેની ઉંમર તેના નમૂનામાં કેટલા પ્રમાણમાં કાર્બન 14 શેષ રહ્યું તેના પરથી જાણી શકાય છે.
પુરાતત્ત્વચુંબકીય, સમયનિર્ધારણ જેવી અન્ય પદ્ધતિઓ પણ ઉપયોગમાં લેવામાં આવે છે. આ પદ્ધતિ પૃથ્વીના ચુંબકીય ક્ષેત્રના પરિવર્તન પર આધારિત છે. વૃક્ષના થડનાં વલયોથી થતું સમયનિર્ધારણ એ બીજી એક ઉપયોગી ટેનિક (પદ્ધતિ) છે. વરસાદ વગેરે પરિબળોને લીધે વૃક્ષમાં દર વર્ષે ફેરફાર થતા હોય છે. આ ફેરફારો વૃક્ષના થડમાં રહેલાં વલયોની ભાતથી જોઈ (સમજી) શકાય છે. આ ટેક્નિકમાં (પદ્ધતિમાં) (થડમાંનાં વલયોથી થતું સમયનિર્ધારણ) ‘ફિંગરપ્રિન્ટ’ તરીકે ઉપયોગમાં લેવાય છે.